Upcoming Programs and Workshops
NNMQG ZOOM QUILT MEETINGS
The Northern New Mexico Quilt Guild is generously allowing current Los Alamos Piecemaker members to join their Zoom meetings. If you're not a current member, please consider updating your Piecemaker membership or join the Northern New Mexico Quilt Guild.
The next NNMQG meeting will be on Monday, August 24that 7:00 p.m.(“doorsopen”at 6:45 p.m.). The program will be SAQA Trunk Show w/Mary Jo Stipe.
Instructions from NNMQG to participate:
1) You must have a Zoom account.
Visit www.zoom.us to set up your Zoom account login. Ideally, do this at least 2 hours before the meeting start time.
2) Zoom uses the camera and microphone on your computer. If your computer has neither, you may join without audio or video by calling the appropriate number below:
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)
3) At 7pm, visit www.zoom.us, sign in, click “Join Meeting”. Enter the Meeting ID and then the Passcode:(a separate email will be sent to LAP on Monday with the Meeting ID and the Passcode)
4) The meeting is scheduled for 1.5 hours. Anyone can join at any point during this time, but join as early as possible or you may miss valuable information.
Community Service Challenge
Are you ready for another challenge?? Flo, Melodie and I thought it would be a good way to keep members of the guild connected and at the same time contribute to our Community Service quilt stash.
1. Each completed quilt will earn a $10 gift certificate from Atomic City Quilts. A) $5 to the person who completes the piecing and binding B) $5 for the person who does the quilting. If the quilter charges for the quilting, the person who pays for the quilting would get the $5.
2. The first 25 quilts would get prizes (25 * $10 = $250). Prizes are limited to $20 per person.
3. Each $5 gift certificate you earn entitles you to one entry for the Grand Prize.
4. You can continue to earn an entry for the Grand Prize after the $20 limit for each part that you complete (piecing and binding and/or quilting).
5. Please place your quilt in a bag. Include the name of the individuals who worked on the quilt and note if the quilt has been washed upon completion. Thank you! (*See Newsletter for Label)
6. Flo will distribute the gift certificates when you turn in the completed quilt.
7. Deadline: October 27, 2020
8. Los Alamos Drop off – Atomic City Quilts. Place the quilt in a bag labeled – “LAP Community Service Project” (*Shelley also collects quilts for Project Linus) Include the name(s) of the individual(s) who earned each $5 gift certificate. Also, note if the quilt has been washed upon completion. (*See Newsletter for Label)
Grand Prize: $50 Gift Certificate from Atomic City Quilts – Winner to be announced in October. If you don't have any previous community service projects hiding in your closet - Congratulations! You can get a new race track kit from Melodie. (Jo Ann Painter prepared these kits for us). We also have directions that you could use with your own fabric (Contact us for directions). Or you can create any pattern you choose with your own fabric. Melodie and I are also willing to help deliver kits or pick up finished quilts, as needed.
Melodie - firstname.lastname@example.org
Clara - email@example.com
Flo - firstname.lastname@example.org
COVID-19 Face Mask Instructions
--> The effort below is on hold for now due to lack of need due to medical supplies have started arriving. There are other local groups making masks. Facebook groups: Making Masks for FRIENDS & FAMILY in Los Alamos, New Mexico and Los Alamos Mask Donations
We are working alongside Pamela Hundley and Diane Hammond to provide masks for our caregivers. Dianne is our liaison and is informing us what is needed. We’re hoping to get feedback from her as to what improvements we need to make, if any.
Our goal is to turn in this first request on Monday morning. Please turn in the masks you have made by Sunday 3pm.
If you are in White Rock & make a mask(s) - please email Clara Vigil ( email@example.com ) for my address or I can provide pickup.
If you are in Los Alamos & make a mask(s) - please email me ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) for her address.
At this time we are making it without the filter, so I slim lined the pattern instructions. If you’re interested in the original design with the filter, please view the link below.
Jennifer Maker Full tutorial with the filter pocket: jennifermaker.com
Mask Step by Step Instruction VIDEO
Mask Step by Step Instructions
We are still making the rectangular mask.
1. Wash your fabric.
2. Wash your hands before you start handling the fabric.
3. After you make your mask, please steam iron it (gets rid of germs) and place in a plastic bag (several can go in one bag).
4. Please print the number of masks on your bag.
Please also put your name on the bag(s).
Tuesday March 24, 2020 9AM - 3PM <-- NOTE: to be RESCHEDULED
Wednesday June 24, 2020 Time TBD
Thursday September 24, 2020 9AM - 3PM
Saturday September 21, 2019 9AM - NOON
Fee $20 for LAP members
$30 for non-members
If you want to have a beautiful satin stitch, this is the workshop for you. Several years ago, Libby Lehman taught her Threadplay workshop for LAP. One of the topics was Satin Stitching. Her techniques and tips make a beautiful satin stitch. We will also touch on blanket stitching as part of the workshop.
This workshop will use Libby’s method and allow participants plenty of time to practice.
Bring your lunch or we will order from Daniel’s Café.
Contact Donna Smith to register for the workshop or if you have questions.
Saturday September 21, 2019 9AM - 3PM
Come and sew on your project and enjoy the company of fellow quilters. Bring your questions and answers and we will help each other. If you want to try a binding from the Binding lecture, bring your materials and Donna will be available to answer questions.
Start sewing when you want and quit when you’ve had enough fun.
Bring your lunch or we will order from Daniel’s Café.
Wednesday October 24, 2018
Learn to join pre-quilted blocks using innovative techniques. The cost of the workshop is $40.00 for LAP members and $50.00 for non-members. Sign up at the guild meeting or e-mail Deb McLin email@example.com
Wednesday September 26, 2018
Graves Hall at the United Church The cost of the workshop is $40.00 for LAP members and $50.00 for non-members. If you are interested in participating in this workshop, please contact Sharon Kapple firstname.lastname@example.org
Check out the pattern at www.dragonflyquilts.com
Saturday October 28th, 2017 Time TBD Location - White Rock Presbyterian Church
Trapunto is an Italian word meaning stuffed. Traditionally, this was accomplished by stuffing extra batting material into a piece after it was quilted.
This workshop will explore machine trapunto techniques to add a dimensional element to traditional quilts, wall-hangings or art quilts. With innovations such as wash-out thread machine trapunto is easy and creates dramatic effects.
Saturday September 16th, 2017 Time TBD Location - White Rock Presbyterian Church
Pick a pre-printed panel and have fun with threadpainting and embellishing. We will threadpaint parts of the panel to provide emphasis, definition and depth. We will not cover the entire panel with thread. This technique adds a richness and uniqueness to a printed piece of fabric. No threadpainting or free-motion quilting experience necessary.
This technique works really well on panels with birds, flowers, animals, fairies, fruit, and cartoon dinosaurs. OK, basically any panel will be more vibrant, rich and interesting when you are done.
Follow up the treadpainting with the Trapunto Workshop and add more dimension to your panel. Participants do not have to take both workshops, they can be independently.
Tuesday February 28th, 2017 9am - 3pm Location - United Church in Los Alamos.
Techniques for Raw-Edged Applique Workshop presented by Shannon Brinkley, author of "Scrappy Bits Applique." Cost - $50 (members) $60 (non-members) If you are interested, please e-mail Sharon Kapple ( email@example.com) or sign up at the January Guild meeting.
Saturday March 19th AND Saturday March 22nd, 2016 9am - 1pm Location - United Church in Los Alamos.
Wednesday November 18th, 2015 9am - 3:30pm Location - United Church in Los Alamos.
Saturday October 17th, 2015.
Saturday April 25th - 9am - 3pm United Church in Los Alamos.
Wednesday March 25th - 9am - 3pm United Church in Los Alamos.
Wednesday November 19th - 9am United Church in Los Alamos.
Wednesday June 25th - 9am United Church in Los Alamos.
Wednesday November 20th - 9am United Church in Los Alamos.
Saturday April 27 - 9am - 3pm - 1001 Oppenheimer, Los Alamos.
Trapunto is the technique for adding extra batting to a quilted piece to make parts puff and standout.
Ever wanted to try trapunto or improve your skills? No previous trapunto or free-motion experience required. Beginners welcome.
Here's a Saturday workshop for easy machine trapunto.
Learn how to: quickly make setting blocks for traditional quilts. trapunto printed panels, appliqued pieces and non-traditional pieces. add trapunto effects to art quilts.
Fee - $50 ($40 of this goes to LAP for a fundraiser, the rest for patterns and some supplies).
Contact Joan Williams or Ann Daley
Wednesday May 22 - 9am - 4pm - White Rock Baptist Church.
For more information on Programs, see the most current Newsletter.
Post Office Box 261
Los Alamos, New Mexico 87544